What’s the Difference Between Rubber Tubing and Rubber Cord?
Custom molded rubber parts are a major component for industries such as construction, aerospace, defense, electronics, medical and others. At Aero Rubber Company, we understand that customization is key for rubber parts to perform as expected. We offer custom rubber tubing and rubber cord in solid and closed-cell sponges, available in commercial, economy, and spec grades. All our parts are manufactured to the highest standards.
To choose the right custom solution for your application, learn more about the differences between rubber tubing and rubber cord.
What Is Custom Rubber Tubing?
Rubber tubing is manufactured using natural and synthetic rubber. Their hollow interior enables the transport of liquids and gases throughout residential and industrial facilities. Rubber material gives the tubes flexibility, resilience, toughness, and resistance to the material moving through it.
Benefits of Rubber Tubing
Advantages of rubber tubing include:
- Customizability: Rubber tubing can be easily manipulated to create any combination of inner and outer diameters, wall thickness, length, and more.
- Low cost: Rubber can be more affordable than plastic and metal. Even with customization, rubber often is the most cost-efficient choice of material for industrial use.
- Easy storage and transport: Because it is lightweight and pliable, rubber tubing is easy to ship, move and store.
- Biocompatibility: Specialty rubber grades can provide excellent biocompatibility, making it perfect for medical uses.
- Weather resistance: Some rubber material, such as EPDM, can withstand ozone, radiation, and other elements.
- Hygiene: Certain rubber types are can deliver resistance to the growth of bacteria or the buildup of solids.
Applications for Rubber Tubing
Applications and industries that rely on solid rubber tubing include:
- Agriculture: Rubber tubing transports feed, collects waste, and provides ventilation.
- Aerospace: Tubing used for aerospace operations needs to resist thermal shock, high pressure, weather, and extreme temperatures. Rubber tubing from special materials can meet these standards.
- Automotive: Rubber tubing can be found throughout automobile fuel lines, lubricant conveyors, and cooling systems.
- Food processing: Food-grade rubber tubing meets FDA standards. Used to dispense water, beverages, air, and dairy products, these tubes must resist high temperatures, acids, and other chemicals found in food. They must also be formulated to avoid transferring odors or tastes to the food.
- Electricity: Conductive rubber tubing protects sensitive electronics and reduces the friction between them that may cause a static charge and fire hazard.
- Marine: Rubber tubing is used throughout watercraft, for pumping engine coolants, flushing toilets, draining sinks, and providing drinking water.
- Medical: Medical-grade rubber tubing is vital for catheters, implants, syringe pistons, feeding tubes, and more.
What Is Custom Rubber Cord?
While rubber tubes are hollow, rubber cord is solid. It makes excellent seals and shock protectors. Rubber cord is made with similar materials and methods as tubing, but they have different applications.
Benefits of Rubber Cord
Many of the beneficial properties of rubber tubing material also apply to rubber cord:
- Customizability: To achieve certain characteristics, rubber cord can be easily customized by material, diameter, coil length, and more.
- High temperature, pressure, and voltage resistance: Rubber cord manufactured from the right material can withstand extremely high and low temperatures, high-voltage electricity, and high pressure.
- Easy storage and transport: Rubber cord is lightweight and flexible, making transport and storage easy.
- Chemical stability: Specialty rubber cord can be highly resistant to acids and alkalis.
- Hygiene: Due to their antifungal properties, rubber cord from certain materials, such as silicone, can be very hygienic.
Applications for Rubber Cord
These are some of the industries and applications that depend on rubber cord:
- Automotive: In automobiles, rubber cord makes excellent high-temperature seals for electrical enclosures.
- Aerospace: The aerospace industry needs reliable seals that function in extremely frigid and hot temperatures, so they rely on rubber cord.
- Construction: Rubber cord can be found in window seals, shower doors, oven doors, and electrical connectors in residential and commercial settings.
- Food and beverage: In food processing machinery, rubber cord can act as a seal to prevent liquid, gas, and dust from escaping while the machine is operating.
- Medical and pharmaceutical: Rubber cord in the medical and pharmaceutical fields can be biocompatible and easily sterilized.
Why Choose Aero Rubber?
Aero Rubber delivers quality custom rubber tubing and cord as well as excellent customer service. Even if you are unsure of the exact rubber product you might need, our team of engineers can help you develop a customized solution for your application. For more information on how we can serve you, contact us.